Hot buttered rum is a state of mind as much as it is a drink.
It evokes Christmases of nostalgia – the kind of drink we can imagine Dickens holding in one hand while writing Christmas Carol with the other. It’s what people are surely drinking off screen in It’s a Wonderful Life. Or what’s been making Dean Martin sound so happy when he sings “it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.”
If a Rudolph mug exists in your cupboard – a penguin mug in my case – now is the time to use it.
The butter mixture can be made in advance so that lots of drinks can be prepared at once for a party, or you can make one single perfect glass just for you.1 tsp butter 1 tsp brown sugar Pinch of cinnamon 1 measure dark rum Hot water
- Mix the butter, sugar and cinnamon together and drop into the bottom of a mug
- Add the rum, then top up with hot water
If You Can Make That You Can Make This
- Add a tiny grating of fresh nutmeg to the butter mixture
- Add a couple of cloves to the glass
- Or a star anise
- Use a cinnamon stick stirrer
- Add a tsp of cream
- Hold a red hot skewer in the mug (being careful not to touch the side or the mug may shatter) to caramelize the rum – this is an old campfire trick apparently – and certainly worth trying – the drink tastes darker somehow, more caramel and complex