Ingredients1 sheet of defrosted puff pastry 1 cup of ricotta cheese (or thereabouts) 2 tbsp sugar (vanilla sugar if you have any) 1 tsp good vanilla essence (if you don’t have vanilla sugar) 1 pint of raspberries ½ pint of blackberries Vanilla ice cream and confectioner’s sugar (icing sugar) to serve
- Lay the pastry sheet onto some parchment and roll out to get rid of the creases. Score a border around the edge and prick the pastry in the middle with a fork.
- Mix the ricotta with 1 tbsp of sugar (and the vanilla if using) with the cream to loosen it up, then spread it over the pastry inside the border.
- Toss half of the fruit with 1tbsp sugar and arrange on top of the ricotta mixture (if the blackberries are especially sharp you might want to add more sugar)
- Put the tart onto a tray and into a pre-heated oven and let it cook for 20 – 25 minutes. If your oven is a bit old and unreliable, like mine, turn the tart around half way through cooking in case one bit of oven is hotter than another and the tart cooks unevenly (i.e. one part raw, one part ash, as in my oven).
- Once cooked, top with the rest of the berries and dust with icing sugar. Serve with vanilla ice cream
This originally appeared along with other red, white and blue desserts for Labor Day.