Minute Steak with Madeira
4 minute steaks (1 per person)
1 large Spanish onion
Â½ cup of Madeira – medium sherry or marsala would also work
1 clove of garlic
1 sprig of rosemary
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp of butter
Salt and pepper
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper
- Chop the onion into large half moons and fry in 1 tbsp of the oil until soft and golden and sweet â€“ about ten minutes. Remove the onion to a plate to give yourself space in the pan for the steak.
- Tip in another tbsp of olive oil and the tsp of butter (the butter gives great flavor, the oil stops it burning) Throw in the rosemary sprig to flavor the oil.
- Turn up the heat and cook the steak for 1 minute on each side
- Move the meat to a plate to rest, and cover with foil to keep warm
- Put the onions back into the pan. Grate in one clove of garlic and cook for another minute.
- Pour in the Madeira and scrape off the bits from the bottom of the pan into the bubbling liquid
- Fish out the rosemary sprig, then pour the sauce over the steak
- Serve with a hunk of French bread
- Or a bowl of boiled new potatoes
- Or a can of white beans drained and heated in some olive oil, with half a clove of garlic grated in, Â then mashed with a fork
- And blanched green beans