The last of the summer sweet corn is being sold off cheaply on my fruit and veg stand, and though frozen or canned works pretty well, there’s nothing quite like the taste of fresh corn.
1 cup of corn kernels 2 eggs 3 tbsp flour 1 tsp baking powder 1 green chili 1 handful chopped cilantro (coriander) Juice from half a lime Salt and pepper Queso Fresco (or parmesan) to serve
- Whisk the eggs until frothy
- Mix in the flour and the baking powder until smooth
- Mix in the corn kernels, as much finely chopped green chili as you think you might like – I use about half a large de-seeded green chili, and the chopped cilantro
- Squeeze in the juice of about half a lime
- Season with salt and pepper (about ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper)
- Fry rounded tsp sized dollups in a little bit of light olive oil, turning as soon as the bottoms are cooked (about 1 min total)
- Keep warm under foil until you’ve finished the batch – you should get something in the region of 20 – 30
- Arrange on a serving plate and sprinkle with crumbled queso fresco (though if you can’t get that salty parmesan is also good), and serve lime wedges on the side
This recipe first appeared with a recipe for mean margaritas and musings on Pomeranians.