- Peel and cut the potatoes into 6ths
- Put into a pan of cold water with the quartered onion, 3 cloves, and a bay leaf
- Boil the potatoes until cooked through (about 15 minutes from when the water boils, depending on the size of the potato pieces)
- Drain the potatoes and put the sieve over the pan to steam off the water. Pick out the onion, the cloves and the bay leaf
- Mash with butter
- Add a splash of cream and season well with salt and pepper
- Cover with plastic wrap if making ahead, and re-heat in a pan before serving (or in the microwave). Stir in a little extra cream and butter if the potatoes look a bit dry from reheating.
This recipe originally appeared alongside an engagement accident waiting to happen and a Dickensian Christmas feast.