This is based on the salad at Arte on West 73rd street – one of my favorite restaurants in the city. It’s all white table cloths and traditional Italian food, but with a lovely neighborhood charm about it, and a laid back vibe. I had my 30th birthday there. I hate to think how many times over the last year I’ve eaten this salad.
Spinach Salad with sliced mushrooms, goat cheese, lemon and bacon (serves 2)1 bag of baby spinach 4 pieces of bacon cut into lardons 1 cup of crimini or chestnut mushrooms (or whatever variety you like) 4 tbsp goat cheese 1 lemon Olive oil Salt and pepper
- Fry the bacon until crisp
- Slice the mushrooms thinly
- Zest half the lemon, then juice half the lemon and season well, especially with salt
- Toss the spinach an mushrooms with enough dressing to make the leaves glisten
- Top with the goat cheese broken up into little clumps, and the bacon
- Grind some extra pepper over the top
This originally appeared in a post about the excesses of Christmas and my mother’s post Christmas birthday party.