All ingredients must be at room temp before you start to bake with them1 Â½ sticks of butter (6oz) Â¾ cup sugar (6oz) 1 orange 1 lemon 4 eggs (extra large US, large UK) 1 cup flour Pinch of salt 1 level tsp baking powder Â
- Preheat the oven to 325f and butter and line a loaf tin
- Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer until fluffy, then grate in the zest from half the orange and half the lemon
- Beat in one egg at a time until they are all incorporated
- Squeeze in about 1 tbsp of the juice from the lemon. Stir in the flour, salt and baking powder until just combined and scrape into the tin
- Bake for 50 mins to an hour until the cake is golden and springy to the touch â€“ a toothpick should come out clean. If the cake looks like itâ€™s burning on top, cover with foil
- Cool the cake in the tin, then slice and eat spread with butter. Or, if you have the patience, leave the cake wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge for a day or two so that the flavors can develop.