Iâ€™m just going to tell it to you straight. I love my cape. I love to sweep around the city like fashion batman. I like to wear it as often as possible.
Usually, this is about twice in Spring, and twice in Fall. Capes are tricky. And itâ€™s profoundly sad to be out and about in the world, cape-less, and realize that you missed a perfect cape opportunity. Well, profoundly sad, for a given definition of profoundly sad thatâ€™s probably a bit closer to slightly miffed.
To avoid this, Jon designed an app for me for my birthday last year:
Is it cape weather?
Mostly, the answer is No.
Wrap up warm, advises the app. Too cold for capes. Or Take an umbrella, Itâ€™s going to rain â€“ no cape today. Or Hot! You donâ€™t even need a cardigan!
And then it happened.
Itâ€™s officially Spring. Celebrations abound!
Spring Pea Pasta (serves 2 – easily extended for more)
At Union Square Farmers Market last week I bought a punnet of pea shoots – the very essence of Spring – which I added to this pasta at the very last moment – pasta cooked, added to sauce, pea shoots in off the heat, turned on the sauce, done. It’s also good with just peas. Mostly, frozen ones.Linguini – enough for two – whatever the packet says, plus a bit more
1/4 cup pancetta cubes
3/4 cup peas
optional couple of handfuls of pea shoots / arugula / rocket / spinach / dandelion leaves / other light greens
1/2 cup cream
1/4 cup white wine
salt and pepper
olive oil Â
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Salt liberally and cook the pasta for about 1 min less than the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, fry the pancetta in a tsp of olive oil until beginning to crisp – a few minutes
- Add the wine, and bubble off the alcohol for a minute. Add the cream.
- Grate in the zest from half the lemon, and squeeze in half the juice.
- Add the peas and cook for a few minutes until the peas are thawed and the sauce is reduced.
- Drain the pasta and toss in the sauce, adding the pea shoots if using.
- Serve with plenty of ground black pepper.
4 Responses to Spring Pea Pasta for Fashion Batman