Jon and I have been together since we were 19, and in all that time, he has been dramatic precisely 3 times, and all for good reason: moving countries, changing jobs.
He has never, to pick an example at random, called me in the middle of the day sobbing because a cat on the internet â€œlooked mournfulâ€, or he ate a disappointing sandwich and regrets wasting the calories, or his nail polish chipped on the first day of a new manicure and it reminded him of the temporal nature of life and the essential futility of all endeavors.
And so, every so often, I make him skirt steak on a weeknight to let him know that his tolerance for drama in others is appreciated.
Spiced Skirt Steak Â (serves 2)1 piece of skirt steak (8ozish) 1 tbsp of lime juice 1 tsp paprika 1 clove of garlic Salt and Pepper Olive Oil Â
- Marinate the steak in Â½ tbsp. lime juice for 10 mins while the griddle heats up.
- Dab it dry with paper towel and throw out the marinade.
- Cut the garlic in half and rub the cut side all over the steak.
- Rub the paprika into the steak, and season really well with salt and pepper.
- Griddle for 3 minutes per side, until charred but still pretty rare.
- Put on a plate to rest, re-season, sprinkle over the rest of the lime juice, and a splosh of olive oil. Let the steak sit, well wrapped in foil for 3 mins.
Slice and serve with:
- Oven roasted asparagus
- A green salad and some bread
- A baked potato and a handful of tomatoes
- Thinly sliced fennel, cucumber, celery and walnuts tossed in a little salt, lime and olive oil