So thatâ€™s it then. Last weekend of summer approaches. And, glad though I am to have a Monday off, and to be rolling into a Fall full of, with any luck, apple crisp and pork belly and butter nut squash, I canâ€™t help but feel sad for a moment that summer is so fleeting. Itâ€™s time to take stock, and do that math:
Did we get enough of it?
1. Was there enough ice cream? Ideally the salted caramel goat milk ice cream from Victory Gardens.Â http://victorygardennyc.com/
2. How about Paella. Reservation at Socarrat made. Crispy bits? On it.
4. Time for a few more lobster rolls. Loving the one at Fig and Olive, even though, inexplicably, itâ€™s on a round bun.
5. Bring it, watermelon, in all your forms. Jump into my feta, parsley, red onion, black olive salad. Dive into my ice-filled blender and become a Campari melon cocktail.
6. Slice up the cucumber and pour on the Pimms. Even though itâ€™s crazy difficult to find real lemonade in New York. Even though Schweppes only comes in mini cans that cost a kingâ€™s ransom. Worth it.
7. Corn. All the corn.
8. Peaches. All the peaches. Potentially on a shortcake with a blob of whipped cream.
9. Tomatoes. Olive oil. Salt. Maybe + burrata. Blitzed and stirred into warm pasta. Roasted on top of a puff pastry base spread with herbed goat cheese. Rubbed onto garlic toasts. Topping ramshackle pizzas. Panzanelle salad. No way to lose.
2 Responses to Did we get enough summer?