This dressing is based on a Delia recipe from her Winter Collection which was the book of the moment when I started to cook. Iâ€™ve tinkered with it â€“ she uses crÃ¨me-fraiche in hers â€“ but the principle is the same.
Apple Salad with warm camembert dressing2 cox’s apples â€“ or any apple that takes your fancy 2 heads of chicory 1 bag of sturdy greens â€“ I use a rocket spinach mix 1 handful of walnuts (if you have the patience to roast them with some salt and brown sugar for a few minutes it will pay dividends in the taste) 1 small camembert 1 tbsp of cider vinegar Salt and pepper
- Shred the chicory into a bowl and add the mixed greens and the walnuts
- Core the apples and slice thinly. Add to the greens
- Toss to mix then portion out onto two plates
- Peel the rind off the cheese and heat in a pan until melted. Whisk in the cider vinegar and season well with salt and pepper â€“ Youâ€™re not trying to cook the cheese, only melt it â€“ if you cook it it will go stringy
- Pour the hot cheese dressing over the salad
- Serve with warm crusty bread and a glass of resin-y white wine
This originally appeared in a post about the start of fall and apple’s in my Grandmother’s garden.