Ingredients (serves 4 as a main course 6-8 as a starter)
1 bag of mesclun mix Â¼ bag of arugula (rocket) Â¼ cup of small mint leaves (chop big ones) 2 logs of goat cheese 1 cup of pitted cherries Â¼ cup slivered almonds (or walnuts) 2tbsp walnut oil or olive oil if thatâ€™s what youâ€™ve got 1 scant tbsp aged balsamic vinegar Â½ a shallot Salt and pepper
- Slice the cheese into 2cm thick rounds (if you use wire or fishing line your task will be less sticky)
- Brush with olive oil and bake (on parchment or foil for ease of washing up) on a tray in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes.
- Tip the slivered almonds onto the tray to toast for the last minute.
- Now for the dressing; mix the olive oil, the balsamic vinegar and either finely dice the shallot, or grate on a coarse grater. Season well and shake or whisk to mix.
- Mix the mesclun, the arugula and the mint, and arrange on a plate, top with the cherries, almonds and goat cheese disks and drizzle the dressing over.
- Coat the cheese in egg wash and panko bread crumbs before frying in a non-stick pan with splash of olive oil.
- Or spread the cheese on thin slices of French bread, season well, then bake in the oven at 350 for 10 -15 minutes (depending on the thickness of the bread)
- Or buy an aged goat cheese thatâ€™s harder, and crumble onto the salad
- Or use a blue cheese
- Or a smoked mozzarella
This recipe first appeared with a discussion on my own soft spot for cherries and a cherry bonanza in New York.