All the ingredients should be at room temperature before you start. Youâ€™ll get more reliable cakes if you use scales to measure by weight rather than volume in cups.
Ingredients (makes 12 fairy cakes, 8 muffin-sized cakes)1 stick or 115g room temperature butter Â½ cup or 115g sugar 2 eggs 1 cup or 115g flour Â¼ tsp baking powder 1 tbsp milk 1 Â½ cup cream 1 tsp sugar Â½ cup fresh strawberries 3 tsp balsamic vinegar 2 tsp sugar
- Pre heat the oven to 350 (180 C)
- Line the cake tin with paper cases
- Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy (takes about 5 mins â€“ faster in a mixer or with an electric whisk)
- Whisk the eggs then add to the mixture a bit at a time until incorporated
- Sift the flour and baking powder together then stir in in a few batches
- Mix in the milk so that the batter is smooth and easy to drop into the cases
- Spoon into the cake cases and bake for about 15 mins until the cakes are golden and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. If you have a dodgy oven (like me) turn the tray half way through cooking to try to get a more even temperature
- Transfer to a rack to cool
- Dice the strawberries and mix with the balsamic vinegar and the sugar. Let them sit together for five minutes until the strawberries start to ooze their juice and form a syrupy sauce
- Whisk the cream with sugar until it forms soft peaks
- Once the cakes are cool, top with the cream, the strawberries and drizzle of the syrup
This recipe originally appeared with three easy recipe ideas for Valentines day.