Hot buttered rum is a state of mind as much as it is a drink.
It evokes Christmases of nostalgia – the kind of drink we can imagine Dickens holding in one hand while writing Christmas Carol with the other. Itâ€™s what people are surely drinking off screen in Itâ€™s a Wonderful Life. Or whatâ€™s been making Dean Martin sound so happy when he sings â€œitâ€™s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.â€
If a Rudolph mug exists in your cupboard â€“ a penguin mug in my case – now is the time to use it.
The butter mixture can be made in advance so that lots of drinks can be prepared at once for a party, or you can make one single perfect glass just for you.1 tsp butter 1 tsp brown sugar Pinch of cinnamon 1 measure dark rum Hot water Â
- Mix the butter, sugar and cinnamon together and drop into the bottom of a mug
- Add the rum, then top up with hot water
If You Can Make That You Can Make This
- Add a tiny grating of fresh nutmeg to the butter mixture
- Add a couple of cloves to the glass
- Or a star anise
- Use a cinnamon stick stirrer
- Add a tsp of cream
- Hold a red hot skewer in the mug (being careful not to touch the side or the mug may shatter) to caramelize the rum â€“ this is an old campfire trick apparently â€“ and certainly worth trying â€“ the drink tastes darker somehow, more caramel and complex