Several years ago I wrote a series of interviews about people with highly alternate world views for a fashion-y glossy magazine. A woman who had been abducted by aliens and given birth to alien babies, for example. A man who thought he was a 200 year old vampire, and who obviously, would only meet me at night.
One of these people â€“ one of the least creepy and most downright charming â€“ was The Love Witch.
â€œI think love spells are the step between belief in magic and psychological influence. Spells are you giving yourself the energy to bring good things to you.â€
To my mind, a skeptical Methodist-moulded mind, this doesnâ€™t sound too outrageously way out â€“ if The Love Witch had written a book, wouldnâ€™t it be basically The Secret?
Sadly, the magazine folded (quelle surprise!) before her wisdom could be published, so Iâ€™m going to pass on some of her top tips â€“ some, oddly practical – here in case they are of interest.
- Wash the floors of your house with rose water to open it to love
- Keep a crystal in your pocket â€“ rose quartz for love or citrine for affection
- Rub two pink candles with lavender and rose oil. Meditate while the candles burn out, focus on what you are looking for.
- Be specific. If non vegetarian is a deal breaker, say so. The universe is not a mind reader.
- Not too specific. Brad Pitt has free will. You canâ€™t do anything about it. Donâ€™t waste your time.
Rose Sangria Love Potion (makes a jugful – about 6 glasses)
This is a full on Valentines love potion; rose for pinkness, prosecco for sparkle, raspberries, strawberries, peaches and rose petals. Â The perfect thing to drink with a group of girlfriends while discussing other peoples’ love lives.1 bottle rose wine (well chilled) Â½ bottle prosecco Â½ pint fresh raspberries Â½ pint fresh strawberries 1 cup edible flowers â€“ rose petals ideally 1 green apple or ripe peach if you can get itÂ Â¼ cup peach syrup (from a can of peaches) Â
- Slice the strawberries and apple and drop into a jug
- Pour over the cold rose wine and top up with the prosecco. Add the syrup to taste
- Garnish with fresh pink rose petals