The Union Square Farmersâ€™ Market groans with stone-fruit. Wasps buzz around stalls laden with peaches, Itâ€™s been a long day apartment hunting ahead of our September 3rd move out deadline. And frankly, itâ€™s not been any fun whatsoever. I load my bag with kilos of plums and apricots, and head home to make cake.
Once you start house-hunting, donâ€™t you feel as though youâ€™ve already kind of left the place you actually live in? I really have been feeling that way. Unmoored from my home.
Baking anchors. Brings me back to my happy place in the kitchen for half an hour. Fills the apartment with cinnamon and vanilla. Keeps it smelling like a home until we find a new place to call home.
Apricot Cake1 cup chopped apricot 1 Â¼ cups flour Â¾ cup sugar 1 tsp baking powder Â½ tsp baking soda Â½ tsp salt 2 eggs Â½ cup vegetable oil Â½ cup plain yogurt 1 tsp good quality vanilla extract Â
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Mix the apricots, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl
- Mix the eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla extract in a jug
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine
- Butter a loaf tin and pour in the cake batter
- Bake for 50 â€“ 55 mins until golden brown