A few winters ago my sister and I put our names on the waiting list at Serendipity. Apparently it might take a while. So we went to Bloomingdales for an hour. Yeah, it was still going to take a while. So we traveled to the island and back on the tram, then we hung around for a bit, and went to Starbucks, and hung around some more, and eventually, finally, our number was up. Our table looked as though it had been designed by a 6 year old girl, which I mean as a huge complement. Â We ordered frozen hot chocolate. It was totally, totally worth the wait.
Frozen Hot Chocolate (per cup)1 large scoop of ice cream (I like vanilla, Jon prefers chocolate) Â½ bar of good quality dark chocolate 1 cup of milk 1 tsp brown sugar or honey 1 cinnamon stick Â
- Scoop a large ball of ice cream onto a tray and place in the freezer to get super cold
- Meanwhile, heat the milk, sugar and cinnamon in a saucepan until nearly boiling then take off the heat
- Break up the chocolate and drop into the pan
- Count to 30, then whisk the melted chocolate into the milk (returning to the heat if necessary)
- Pour into a mug, then float the ice cream on top