Total Thanksgiving cooking time=turkey to room temperature time + cooking time + resting time
For me, total Thanksgiving cooking time = 30 mins + 2 3/4 hours + 25 mins
Therefore if dinner is at 2pm, I need to get the turkey out of the fridge at 10.20.All the recipes in this plan can be found in Friday’s post here.
- Get the turkey and some butter out of the fridge. The Turkey must be at room temp before you cook it â€“ this takes about 30 mins.
- 25 mins later â€¦ turn on the oven to 450.
- Butter the turkey, lay it on its vegetable trivet, pour into the soon-to-be-gravy and bung in the oven, turning it down to 350. Set a timer for 25 minutes less than you think the turkey will take. Timings are on the recipe.
- Prepare the vegetables for the roast, put them in their roasting dish and set aside (I use the top of the stove).
- Prepare the stuffing, tip into the dish and set aside (in my case, on top of the veg tray).
- Get a kettle ready for the green beans, trim them and set aside (yup, on top of the stuffing).
- Put the cranberry sauce into bowls on the table.
- Put some store bought corn bread into a basket.
- Nowâ€™s the time to set the table, get out wine, fill water glasses etc.
- Realistically thatâ€™s going to take an hour â€“ and life will be better if someone wants to help. But now youâ€™re done, and everythingâ€™s ready to go. Welcome your guests, make turkey cut outs of your hands, drink wine or a Thanksgiving cocktail, watch the parade on teevo. Keep the timer handy.
- The timer beeps. See how the turkey is getting on â€“ it may need covering with foil if the breast is getting too dark. Put in the tray of vegetables to roast. Re-set the timer for the turkey itself (about 25 mins time but keep checking that pop up thermometer â€¦)
- 25 mins later â€¦ take the turkey out and rest it under a few layers of foil.
- Turn the oven up to 425 and put in the stuffing set the timer for another 20 mins
- Nowâ€™s the time to serve a starter if you have one â€“ ideally a soup you made the day before or a tray of easy smoked salmon and cucumber bites that you can assemble in moments if you have everything ready to go in the fridge.
- The timer beeps. Again. Check the vegetables and the stuffing â€“ they can have another five minutes if they need it â€“ my oven needs contingency built into it â€“ but they should be done. Turn off the oven and let them sit out of the way.
- Transfer the turkey to a platter and cover with foil â€“ decorate with halved oranges, bunches of fresh parsley etc as your taste directs you.
- Boil the kettle.
- Skim the fat off the gravy in the tray, mash about the vegetables and pour into a pan. Thicken with corn flour and bring it to the boil. Hot gravy is the key to making sure everything else is hot on the plate if your timing gets a bit erratic.
- Pour boiling water over the beans (salt well).
- Un-foil the turkey and take to the table.
- Take the vegetables and stuffing to the table.
- Drain the beans, toss with garlic oil and take to the table.
- Pour the gravy into a jug and take to the table.
- Sit down and eat.